Have you heard any of these quotes?
“All disease begins in the gut” –Hippocrates
“If you heal the GUT you heal the BODY”
“Gut health is the key to overall health” –Kris Carr
Well, I believe all three of these quotes are on point. The gut truly is the gateway to your health. For those of you that don’t know, I am just a tiny bit passionate about digestive health. My dissertation for my doctorate was on restoring digestive health in individuals with functional gastrointestinal disorders. If you suffer from constipation, diarrhea, bloating, flatulence, reflux, or abdominal pain and no one can figure out what the cause is, you are most likely suffering from a functional gastrointestinal disorder (FGID).
Did you know that…
25% or more of the US population suffers from one of the disorders
40% of GI visits are related to these disorders
Irritable bowel syndrome or IBS is the most common of these disorders
These disorders are thought to cost society (direct and indirect coses) up to $21 billion or more per year!
Health Dangers associated with GUT Dysfunction
- Malabsorption: the small intestines absorbs most of your key nutrients. If there is inflammation in the gut or lack of stomach acid you may not be absorbing optimally.
- Depression: have you heard the gut is the second brain? Several key neurotransmitters are made in the gut including an estimated 90% of the body’s serotonin. Therefore, if you don’t have enough good bacteria in your gut you may suffer from depression.
- Autoimmune: have you heard the term “leaky gut”? In functional medicine, we believe the gut can become inflammed which increases intestinal permeability and causes systemic inflammation. If you suffer from a leaky gut, you are more likely to suffer from systemic inflammation and/or autoimmune diseases such as, rheumatoid arthritis, hashimotos, and psoriasis. At CentreSpring MD, we perform a number of test to assess for and validate leaky gut.
- Eczema or other skin rashes
Possible Root Causes for GUT Dysfunction
- Food intolerances or allergies
- Lack of stomach acid
- Dysbiosis (imbalance of good and bad bacteria in the gut)
- Candida overgrowth (yeast in the gut)
- Hormonal Imbalances and Stress
- Leaky Gut
5 ways to restore digestive health TODAY
- Start your day with 16 oz of lukewarm or warm lemon water
- Add a strong probiotic and rotate brands regularly
- Examples of good brands:
- Prescript Assist (soil based, completely dairy free)
- Garden of Life, Dr. Formulated Mood Plus
- VSL 3
- Examples of good brands:
- Drink bone broth daily
- I like Bone and Company because they use pasture raised chicken and grass-fed beef. They also cook the bones on low heat for over 24 hours, which is essential for maintaining key nutrients and collagen to help heal your gut.
- Add glutamine: an amino acid that will help heal a “leaky gut”, decrease inflammation, improve your immune system, and increase absorption of key nutrients.
- Take digestive enzymes with each meal to help ease digestion and promote bowel regularity
Still having symptoms? I would love to work with you 1 on 1.
In good GUT health,
Kristin Oja, DNP, FNP-C, PT-C